Welcome to our pre-operative instructions page. At Optimum Oral Surgery Group, we are committed to providing you with the highest quality of care, and we want to make sure that you are well-prepared for your upcoming surgery.
Please review the following instructions carefully and do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
- Stop taking aspirin and other blood thinners at least 7-10 days before surgery, unless otherwise directed by your surgeon.
- If you are taking any other medications, please let your surgeon know at your pre-operative consultation.
- If you have any medical conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart disease, please be sure to inform your surgeon.
- If you are sick on the day of your surgery, please call our office as soon as possible.
- Avoid eating or drinking anything, including water, for at least 8 hours before your surgery.
- Avoid smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to drive you to and from your surgery appointment.
- Dress comfortably in loose-fitting clothing with short sleeves and low-heeled shoes.
- Remove all jewelry, contact lenses, and makeup before surgery.
On The Day Of Surgery
- Don’t eat or drink for 8 hours before your appointment. If surgery is scheduled in the morning, please don’t have anything after midnight.
- No smoking.
- Someone must come with you who can wait in the office while you are in surgery and can drive you home after.
- You cannot drive for 24 hours after general anesthesia or IV sedation.
- Please wear clothing with short or loose-fitting sleeves.
- Please arrive at our office at least 30 minutes before your scheduled surgery time.
- Bring a list of all medications you are currently taking, including over-the-counter medications and herbal supplements.
- If the patient is under the age of 18, they must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Bring your insurance card and photo ID.
- Get a good night’s sleep before surgery.
- You will be given post-operative instructions at your surgery appointment. Please be sure to follow these instructions carefully.
- Take any prescribed medications as directed.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Apply ice to the surgical area for 20 minutes at a time, several times a day.
- Eat a soft diet and avoid chewing on the surgical side of your mouth.
- Avoid rinsing or brushing your teeth near the surgical site for 24 hours.
- Call our office if you have any questions or concerns.
We hope this information is helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.